1. Kindermann D, Mutter R, Pines JM. Emergency department transfers to acute care facilities HCUP Statistical Brief #155. 2009. Available at http://www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/reports/statbriefs/sb155.pdf [Accessed on July 30, 2016].
2. Handel DA, Sklar DP, Hollander JE et al. Executive Summary: The Institute of Medicine report and the future of academic emergency medicine and Association of Academic Chairs in Emergency Medicine panel: Association of American Medical Colleges Annual Meeting, October 28, 2006. Academic Emergency Medicine 2007;14: 261-267. https://doi.org/10.1197/j.aem.2007.01.011
3. Casey M, McCullough J, Krieger R. University of Minnesota Rural Health Research Center. Which Medicare Patients Are Transferred from Rural Emergency Departments? Policy Brief June 2014. Available at: http://rhrc.umn.edu/2014/06/which-medicare-patients-are-transferred-from-rural-emergencydepartments/ [accessed on July 29, 2016].
4. Nair D, Gibbs MM. Inter-hospital transfers from rural hospitals to an academic medical center. West Virginia Medical Journal.2013;109:44-49.
5. Ward MM, Odutola JJ. Inter-hospital transfers of patients with systemic lupus erythematosus: characteristics, predictors and outcomes. Journal of Rheumatology. 2006; 33(8):1578-1585.
6. Westfall JM, Kiefe CI, Weissman NW et al. Does interhospital transfer improve outcome of acute myocardial infarction? A propensity score analysis from the Cardiovascular Cooperative Project. BMC Cardiovascular Disorders. 2008;8:22. doi: 10.1186/1471-2261-8-22. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2261-8-22
7. Muus,KJ, Knudson AD, Klug MG, Wynee J. In-hospital mortality among rural medicare patients with acute myocardial infarction: the influence of demographics, transfer, and health factors. Journal of Rural Health.2011; 27(4):394-400. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1748-0361.2010.00351.x
8. Kudlow P, Burns KEA, Adhikari NKJ, et al. Inter-hospital transfers and outcomes of critically ill patients with severe acute kidney injury: a multicenter cohort study. Critical Care. 2014;18:513.https://doi.org/10.1186/s13054-014-0513-1
9. Seferian EG, Afessa B, Gajic O, Keegan MT, Hubmayr RD. Comparison of community and referral intensive care unit patients in a tertiary medical center: evidence for referral bias in the critically ill. Critical Care Medicine. 2008; 36(10):2779-2786. https://doi.org/10.1097/ccm.0b013e318186ab1b
10. Barratt H, Harrison DA, Rowan KM, Raine R. Effect of non-clinical inter-hospital critical care unit to unit transfer of critically ill patients: a propensity-matched cohort analysis. Critical Care. 2012; 16(5): R179. doi: 10.1186/cc11662. https://doi.org/10.1186/cc11662
11. Basu J. Severity of illness, race, and choice of local versus distant hospitals among the elderly. Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved. 2005;16: 391–405. https://doi.org/10.1353/hpu.2005.0023
Available at: http://works.bepress.com/dilip_nair/2/