Skip to main content
Introduction to the 2016 Special Issue of The Journal of College and University Student House Resident Assistants in College and University Housing
Journal of College and University Student Housing (2016)
  • Deborah Taub, Binghamton University--SUNY
Residents Assistants (RAs), the student paraprofessionals who serve as live-in, frontline staff in residence halls, have been called "the foundation of nearly every residence hall program across the country” (Blimling, 2003, p. ix). Although the RA position is not ubiquitous internationally, there are similar positions in many institutions abroad (see, for example, Cousineau & Chambers, 2015, for a description of RAs in Canada). Almost all U.S. college and university housing operations use resident assistants (Bowman & Bowman, 1995; Carns, Carns, & Wright, 1993); they plan and implement programming, enforce policy, mediate conflict between students, and refer students to campus resources (Blimling, 2003). As the college student population has become increasingly diverse and as many students come to college with or develop increasingly serious psychological problems (Kisch, Leino, & Silverman, 2005; Kitzrow, 2003), the job of the RA has become more complex (Jaeger & Caison, 2006; Paladino, Murray, Newgent, & Gohn, 2005; Taub & Servaty-Seib, 2011). 
  • resident assistants,
  • student housing
Publication Date
Publisher Statement
Made available courtesy of Association of College & University Housing Officers:

***© Association of College & University Housing Officers. Reprinted with permission. No further reproduction is authorized without written permission from Association of College & University Housing Officers. This version of the document is not the version of record. Figures and/or pictures may be missing from this format of the document. *** 
Citation Information
Taub, D. J., Johnson, R. B., & Calhoun, D. W. (Eds.). (2016). Special issue of The Journal of College and University Student Housing, 42(3). [Theme: Resident Assistants]