About David B Lipsky
David B. Lipsky is the Anne Evans Estabrook Professor of Dispute Resolution in the School of Industrial and Labor Relations, and Director of the Scheinman Institute on Conflict Resolution at Cornell University. He served as the national president of the Labor and Employment Relations Association (formerly the Industrial Relations Research Association) in 2006. In his research and teaching activities he primarily focuses on negotiation, conflict resolution, and collective bargaining. Lipsky served as dean of the School of Industrial and Labor Relations at Cornell from 1988 until 1997 and has been a member of the Cornell faculty since 1969. He received his B.S. in 1961 from the ILR School at Cornell and his Ph.D. in economics from M.I.T. in 1967.
Lipsky is the author of over seventy articles and chapters in books, and the author or editor of fifteen books and monographs. He is the co-author (with Ronald L. Seeber and Richard D. Fincher) of Emerging Systems for Managing Workplace Conflict, published by Jossey-Bass in April 2003. He is also the co-editor (with Thomas A. Kochan) of Negotiations and Change: From the Workplace to Society, which was published by the Cornell University Press in February 2003.
He was selected as a Fellow of the Labor and Employment Relations Association for his "exceptional contributions to the study of Labor and Employment Relations" in 2009. He was a member of the inaugural class of Fellows of the National Academy of Human Resources and has served on the Academy's Board of Directors. In 1998 he was the recipient of the Judge William B. Groat Alumni Award for professional accomplishment and service to the School of Industrial and Labor Relations at Cornell. He received the General Mills Foundation Award for Achievement in Teaching from the ILR School in 2003 and the General Mills Award for Exemplary Graduate Teaching from the ILR School in 2011. In 1997 the New York State Senate passed a resolution honoring Professor Lipsky "for his distinguished contributions as Dean of the School of Industrial and Labor Relations [at] Cornell University."
Honors and Awards
- Stephen H. Weiss Presidential Fellow, Cornell University
- General Mills Award for Exemplary Graduate Teaching, ILR School, Cornell University
- Fellow, Labor and Employment Relations Association
- Anne Evans Estabrook Professor of Dispute Resolution, Cornell University
- Judge William B. Groat Alumni Award for Professional Accomplishment and Service to the ILR School, ILR School, Cornell University
- Fellow, National Academy of Human Resources
- Meritorious Service Award, Labor and Employment Relations Association. 2008
- National President, Labor and Employment Relations Association. 2006
- Faculty Appreciation Award for "Outstanding Teaching, Advising, and Mentoring", Interfraternity Council, Panhellenic Association, and Multicultural Greek Letter Council, Cornell University. 2004
- General Mills Foundation Award for Achievment in Teaching, ILR School, Cornell University. 2003
Cornell University, ILR School
Scheinman Institute on Conflict Resolution
456 ILR Research Building
Ithaca, NY 14853-3901