Honors and Awards
- The John Saltmarsh Award for Emerging Leaders in Civic Engagement, American Democracy Project, June 2017.
- Douglas Greenlee Prize, Society for the Advancement of American Philosophy, March 2017.
- Early Career Scholar Award, Center for Scholarly and Creative Excellence, Grand Valley State University, February 2017.
- Sustainability Champion Award, Grand Valley State University Office of Sustainability Practices, April 2016.
- John Lachs Award, Committee on Public Philosophy, Society for the Advancement of American Philosophy, March 2016.
- Sustainability Champion Award, Grand Valley State University Office of Sustainability Practices, April 2015.
- The Jane Addams Prize, Society for the Advancement of American Philosophy, 2014.
- LIB 151: Engagement and Activism: Historical Trajectories and Ethical Challenges
- LIB 100: Reflect, Connect, Engage
- LIB314: Life Journeys
- LIB201: Diversity in the United States
- LIB323: Design Thinking to Meet Real World Needs
- LIB322: Wicked Problems of Sustainability
- LIB312: Dialogue, Integration, and Action
|2008 - 2014||PhD, Michigan State University ‐ Philosophy|
|2004 - 2006||MA, University of Toledo ‐ Philosophy|
|2000 - 2004||BS, Grand Valley State University ‐ Liberal Studies|
318 Lake Ontario Hall
Grand Valley State University
1 Campus Dr.
Allendale, MI 49401
Contributions to Books (2)
Contribution to Book
Remaking the Academy: The Potential and the Challenge of Transdisciplinary ...
Contemporary Philosophical Proposals for the University: Towards a Philosophy of Higher Education (2018)
Closing the gap between public education and the public, addressing “real” community problems in “real” time, and preparing students to ...
Featured Works (2)
Recent Works (6)
Practical, Epistemological, and Ethical Challenges of Participatory Action Research: A ...
Journal of Higher Education and Outreach (2018)
This article extends recent discussions on the practical, epistemological, and ethical challenges of participatory action research (PAR) for community engaged ...
Research Works (2)
Shifting Engagement Efforts Through Disciplinary Departments: A Mistake or a ...
Journal of Higher Education Outreach and Engagement (2017)
This article documents the innovative practices and initial outcomesfrom the Grand Rapids Engaged Department Initiative,a cross-institutional collaboration designed in response ...
Dewey, Addams, and Beyond: A Context-Sensitive, Dialogue-Driven, Action-Based Pedagogy for ...
Contemporary Pragmatism (2015)
Traditional, theoretical pedagogical practices based in disciplinary expertise generally fail to prepare students for high-stakes, public problems. In contrast, “Wicked ...