|2014 ‐ Present||Foreign Affairs Officer, U.S. Department of State|
|2014 ‐ Present||Jefferson Science Fellow, The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine|
|2010 ‐ Present||Professor and John A. and Susan Mathes Endowed Chair of Environmental Engineering, Missouri University of Science and Technology ‐ Civil, Architectural and Environmental Engineering|
|2000 ‐ 2009||Faculty Member, University of Cincinnati ‐ Civil and Environmental Engineering|
Honors and Awards
- Professional Engineer with a license to practice in the State of Ohio
- Board Certified by the American Academy of Environmental Engineers and Scientists (AAEES)
- CAREER award from the National Science Foundation (2003)
- Fulbright Scholar Award to India (2005)
- The inaugural Fulbright-ALCOA Distinguished Chair to Brazil (2012)
- Elected to the Board of Directors of the Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors (AEESP) as well as to the Board of Trustees of the AAEES
- Award for Outstanding Contribution to Environmental Engineering and Science Education from AEESP (2004)
- Excellence in Environmental Engineering Education Award jointly from AEESP and AAEES (2014)
- Meritorious Honor Award from the U.S. Department of State (2015)
- Steven K. Dentel Award for Global Outreach from the Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors (2015)
|2002||PhD, University of Illinois|
|1998||MS, University of Illinois ‐ Environmental Engineering|
|1995||BS, Northwestern University ‐ Environmental Engineering|
|1995||BA, University of Northwestern ‐ Biological Sciences|
220 Butler-Carlton Hall
1401 N. Pine St.
Rolla, MO 65409-0030
Phone: (573) 341-6072
Research Works (82)
Utilizing Structural Equation Modeling to Correlate Biosand Filter Performance and ...
Water Science and Technology: Water Supply (2015)
Previously, our earlier work demonstrated the use of structural equation modeling to evaluate the effectiveness of point-of-use biosand filters (BSF) ...
Pulacloud: Human Computation for Economic Development
Proceedings of the 3rd IEEE Global Humanitarian Technology Conference, GHTC (2013, San Jose, CA) (2013)
Lack of employment opportunities contributes to the persistence of poverty throughout the world. At the same time, crowdsourced human computation ...
Environmental Health and Household Demographics Impacting Biosand Filter Maintenance and ...
Environmental Science and Technology (2013)
In rural health development practice, engineers and scientists must recognize the complex interactions that influence individuals' contact with disease-causing pathogens ...
Molecular Diversity of Bacteroidales in Fecal and Environmental Samples and ...
Applied and Environmental Microbiology (2013)
Several swine-specific microbial source tracking methods are based on PCR assays targeting Bacteroidales 16S rRNA gene sequences. The limited application ...
Engineering Education Collaboration: Innovative Pedagogical Methods for High School and ...
Proceedings of the ASEE Annual Conference and Exposition (2010, Louisville, KY) (2010)
This paper presents an innovative teaching approach, how it is implemented, student response results of the implementation, and the assessment ...
Respirometric Evaluation of Side-Stream Treatment of Reject Water As a ...
Water Science and Technology : A Journal of the International Association on Water Pollution Research (2009)
A laboratory-scale bioreactor study was conducted to characterize differences in nitrification function in main-stream reactors due to bioaugmentation from side-stream ...
Spatial Description of Drinking Water Bacterial Community Structures in Bulk ...
Proceedings of the Water Quality Technology Conference and Exposition (2009, Seattle, WA) (2009)
The description of microorganisms inhabiting drinking water distribution systems has commonly been performed using techniques that are biased towards easy ...
Reverse Transcription of 16S rRNA to Monitor Ribosome-Synthesizing Bacterial Populations ...
Applied and Environmental Microbiology (2009)
Identification and quantification of phylogenetically defined bacterial populations in the environment are often performed using molecular tools targeting 16S rRNA. ...