|Present||Associate Professor, Mangement, University of Northern Iowa ‐ Department of Management|
Cross-Cultural Rhetorical Theory, Variations in decision-making norms across cultures and socio-economic levels, Definition and development of communication competence in business organizations, Methods of improving team communication behaviors, and Intersection of rhetorical theory and complexity science
Honors and Awards
- Top Paper Finalist Communication Assessment Division (National Communication Association - 2014)
- Top Paper Finalist Communication Assessment Division (National Communication Association - 2013)
- Top Panel Award, Training and Development Division (National Communication Association - 2008)
- Student Alumni Ambassadors Apple Polisher Certificate of Appreciation (Spring 2007)
- B. Aubrey Fischer Outstanding Journal Article Award (Western States Communication Association - 2001)
- Top Paper Finalist Basic Course Division (National Communication Association - 2001)
- Doctoral Honors Conference (National Communication Association - 1998)
- Top Paper Panelist Basic Course Commission (Speech Communication Association - 1996)
- Bostrum Young Scholar (Southern Speech Communication Association - 1996)
- Business Communication
- Communication Management
- managerial Communication
- integrated Communication across the Curriculum
University of Northern Iowa
Curris Business Building 261
Cedar Falls, IA 50614-0125
Office: CBB 261
Phone: (319) 273-6150
Curricular Implications of Virtual World Technology: A Review of Business ...
Business Communication Quarterly (2013)
As business organizations grow increasingly virtual, traditional principles of organizational communication require examination and modification. This article considers the curricular ...
Real Clients, Real Management, Real Failure: The Risks and Rewards ...
Business Communication Quarterly (Focus on Teaching: Special Column on Service Learning) (2006)
The article reports on the advantages and challenges found in service learning projects, especially in business communication courses. In order ...
The Problem of PowerPoint: Visual Aid or Visual Rhetoric?
Business Communication Quarterly (Focus on Teaching, Special Column on Presentation Skills) (2004)
PowerPoint is an inevitable technology of contemporary business presentations, a tool that is now available to virtually every office worker ...
Contributions to Books (4)
Contribution to Book
Rhetoric On the Concrete Pour: The Dance of Decision Making
Who Says? Working-Class Rhetoric, Class Consciousness, and Community (2006)
In Who Says?, scholars of rhetoric, composition, and communications seek to revise the elitist “rhetorical tradition” by analyzing diverse topics ...