|2011 - Present||Professor, East Tennessee State University ‐ Physical Therapy, College of Clinical and Rehabilitative Health Sciences|
|2011 - Present||Research Health Scientist, East Tennessee State University ‐ James H. Quillen VA Medical Center|
|2017 - 2020||Factors Associated with Outcomes in Patients with Vestibular Symptoms Related to Traumatic Brain Injury|
|CDMRP Psychological Health and Traumatic Brain Injury Research Program - PT160140|
|Colleague(s): Akin, Pugh|
|2016 - 2020||The Effect of Noise Exposure on the Vestibular system|
|VA Rehabilitation RR&D - C1986R|
|Merit Review Grant|
|2017 - 2018||Identification of Individuals at Risk for Falls with Drug-Based Indices|
|ETSU Research Development Committee - 18-005ID|
|Interdisciplinary Grants Program|
|Role: Primary Investigator|
|2017||Rock Steady- a mobile, gamified vestibular rehabilitation therapy app for older adults with complaints of dizziness|
|NIH/NIDCD - R43DC016245|
|Phase 1 Small Business Innovation Research Grant|
|2012 - 2017||Vestibular Rehabilitation and Otolith Dysfunction|
|VA Rehabilitation RR&D - C2058-P|
|Small Projects in Rehabilitation Research|
|Role: Primary Investigator|
Professional Service and Affiliations
|2015 - Present||Member, Research & Development Committee, James H. Quillen VAMC||2010 - Present||Editorial Board, Frontiers in Neuro-otology||2005 - Present||Editorial Board, Journal of Aging and Physical Activity||2000 - Present||Member, Gerontological Society of America||1989 - Present||Member, American Physical Therapy Association|
Honors and Awards
- 1996 - Graduate Student Research Award, University of Oregon
- 1996-1997 - Systems Physiology Training Grant Fellowship, University of Oregon
- 1997-1999 - A.D. Hutchison Fellowship, University of Texas
- 1998 - Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society, University of Texas
- 1998 - Graduate Student Professional Development Award, University of Texas
- 1999 - Technical Assistance Workshop Fellow, National Institute on Aging
- 2009 - Marquis’ Who’s Who in America
- 2011 - ERRIS (Enhancing Rehabilitation Research in the South) Intensive Workshop on Grant Writing in Rehabilitation, Research Fellow
- 2011 - Golden Synapse Award for best article (“Efficacy of gaze stability exercises in older adults with complaints of dizziness”) published in Journal of Neurologic Physical Therapy in 2010
- 2018 - Distinguished Faculty Award in Research (College of Clinical and Rehabilitative Health Sciences, ETSU)
- 2018 - Distinguished Faculty Award in Research (ETSU)
- 2018 - Article of the Year, Vestibular Rehabilitation Special Interest Group (American Physical Therapy Association)
- Clinical Correlates II (1-credit graduate course)
- Clinical Correlates I (1-credit graduate course)
- Case Study in Physical Therapy (1-credit graduate course, Capstone project)
- Introduction to Research (1-credit graduate course)
- Scientific Inquiry for Physical Therapists (1-credit graduate course)
|2000||PhD, Kinesiology, University of Texas at Austin|
|1997||MS, Exercise and Movement Science, University of Oregon|
|1990||BS, Physical Therapy, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill|
|1984||BS, Mathematics, Davidson College|
PO Box 70624
Johnson City, TN 37614
Office: 238 Ed Allen Hall (VA Building 2)
Scientific Publications (19)
Vestibular Rehabilitation for Peripheral Vestibular Hypofunction: An Evidence-Based Clinical Practice ...
Journal of Neurologic Physical Therapy (2016)
Background: Uncompensated vestibular hypofunction results in postural instability, visual blurring with head movement, and subjective complaints of dizziness and/or imbalance. ...
Video Head Impulse Testing (vHIT) and the Assessment of Horizontal ...
Journal of the American Academy of Audiology (2015)
Background: Vestibular function (specifically, horizontal semicircular canal function) can be assessed across a broad frequency range using several different techniques. ...
Variables Associated with Outcome in Patients with Bilateral Vestibular Hypofunction ...
Journal of Vestibular Research (2015)
BACKGROUND: Vestibular rehabilitation (VR) improves symptoms and function in some but not all patients with bilateral vestibular hypofunction (BVH). OBJECTIVE: ...
Interdisciplinary Approach to Dizziness: Roles of Audiology and Physical Therapy
SIG 8 Perspectives on Public Health Issues Related to Hearing and Balance (2013)
Dizziness is one of the most common reasons patients seek medical care, and because there are many causes of dizziness, ...
Variables Associated With Outcome in Patients With Unilateral Vestibular Hypofunction
Neurorehabilitation and Neural Repair (2012)
BACKGROUND: Not all individuals with unilateral vestibular hypofunction (UVH) have fewer subjective complaints and improved function after vestibular rehabilitation.OBJECTIVE: To ...
Book Chapters (5)
Contribution to Book
Balance Function and Dysfunction and the Vestibular System
Textbook of Neural Repair and Rehabilitation: Volume 2: Medical Neurorehabilitation (2014)
Book Summary: In two freestanding but linked volumes, Textbook of Neural Repair and Rehabilitation provides comprehensive coverage of the science ...