|July 2016 - Present||Dean Emeritus, American University Washington College of Law|
|Present||Chair (April 2008-Present), United Nations Committee against Torture|
|Present||Professor of Law, American University Washington College of Law|
|Present||Raymond Geraldson Scholar for International and Humanitarian Law, American University Washington College of Law|
|1995 - 2016||Dean, American University Washington College of Law|
Honors and Awards
- Henry W. Edgerton Civil Liberties Award from the American Civil Liberties Union Foundation of the Nation's Capital (2010)
- Decoration of Orange Nassau in the grade of "Commendeur" from the government of the Netherlands (May 2009)
- Simón Bolívar Award from the Western Hemisphere Institute for Security Cooperation in recognition of his lifetime achievements in promoting human rights (2007)
- Charles Norberg International Lawyer of the Year Award from the Washington, D.C. chapter of the Inter-American Bar Association (2007)
- Antonio Jose Irisarri Decoration in the grade of "Comendador" from the government of Guatemala for contributions to human rights (2006)
- Antonio Jose Irisarri Decoration in the grade of "Comendador" from the government of Guatem
- Extraordinary Leadership Award, Second National People of Color, Legal Scholarship Conference George Washington University Law School (2004)
- LAW-725-002 Sistema Inter-Amer de DDHH
|1980||Doctor in de Rechtsgeleerdheid (Doctor of the Science of Law), The University of Amsterdam|
|1971||J.D., Licenciado en Ciencias Jurídicas y Sociales, The University of Chile Law School|
American University Washington College of Law
4300 Nebraska Avenue, NW
Phone: (202) 274-4004
Fax: (202) 274-4005
The U.N. Committee Against Torture and Eradication of Torture ...
Publication of The Center For Human Rights & Humanitarian Law Anti-Torture Initiative (2014)
This article explains that the United Nations Committee against Torture (hereinafter “the Committee”) has played a significant role in addressing ...
Are We Being Propelled Towards a People Centered Transnational Legal ...
American University Journal of International Law and Policy (1993)
Sovereignty is the fundamental concept around which international law is presently organized. This principle holds that "[e]xcept as limited by ...