|July 2016 - Present||Dean Emeritus, American University Washington College of Law|
|Present||Chair (April 2008-Present), United Nations Committee against Torture|
|Present||Professor of Law, American University Washington College of Law|
|Present||Raymond Geraldson Scholar for International and Humanitarian Law, American University Washington College of Law|
|1995 - 2016||Dean, American University Washington College of Law|
Honors and Awards
- Henry W. Edgerton Civil Liberties Award from the American Civil Liberties Union Foundation of the Nation's Capital (2010)
- Decoration of Orange Nassau in the grade of "Commendeur" from the government of the Netherlands (May 2009)
- Simón Bolívar Award from the Western Hemisphere Institute for Security Cooperation in recognition of his lifetime achievements in promoting human rights (2007)
- Charles Norberg International Lawyer of the Year Award from the Washington, D.C. chapter of the Inter-American Bar Association (2007)
- Antonio Jose Irisarri Decoration in the grade of "Comendador" from the government of Guatemala for contributions to human rights (2006)
- Antonio Jose Irisarri Decoration in the grade of "Comendador" from the government of Guatem
- Extraordinary Leadership Award, Second National People of Color, Legal Scholarship Conference George Washington University Law School (2004)
- LAW-725-002 Sistema Inter-Amer de DDHH
|1980||Doctor in de Rechtsgeleerdheid (Doctor of the Science of Law), The University of Amsterdam|
|1971||J.D., Licenciado en Ciencias Jurídicas y Sociales, The University of Chile Law School|
American University Washington College of Law
4300 Nebraska Avenue, NW
Phone: (202) 274-4004
Fax: (202) 274-4005
Implementing Human Rights in Closed Environments through the United Nations ...
Law in Context: A Socio-Legal Journal (2014)
Closed environments pose a major challenge to the full and effectiveimplementation of human rights norms and conventions. However,many conventions contain ...
The U.N. Committee Against Torture and Eradication of Torture ...
the CENTER FOR HUMAN RIGHTS & HUMANITARIAN LAW Anti-Torture Initiative (2014)
This article explains that the United Nations Committee against Torture (hereinafter “theCommittee”) has played a significant role in addressing the ...