|Present||Coordinator, Endorsement in Education of the Gifted -- Curriculum and Instruction, University of Northern Iowa ‐ Division of Education of the Gifted|
|Present||Professor Emeritus, Elementary Education, Curriculum and Instruction, University of Northern Iowa ‐ Department of Curriculum and Instruction|
|Present||Research Fellow, University of Northern Iowa ‐ Center for Educational Transformation|
Honors and Awards
- Advisor of Outstanding Doctoral Dissertation (Clayton Edwards), University-wide, University of Northern Iowa, 2014
- Outstanding Graduate Faculty Teaching Award, University-wide, University of Northern Iowa, 2013
- President’s Higher Education Community Service Award. Awarded Honor Roll, 2013
- Outstanding Faculty Award in Scholarship and Research, College of Education, University of Northern Iowa, 2010
- Studies in Problems Solving: Theory and Practic
- Studies in Creativity: Theory and Practice
- The Gifted and Talented
- Coordinating Programs for Gifted and Talented
- Analysis Improvement of Elementary Sch Science
- Studies in Science Education
- Studies in Curriculum and Instruction
- Teaching Elementary School Science
- Teaching Elementary School Social Studies
- Elementary Curriculum
- Methods of Teaching Early Literacy
- Methods of Teaching Literacy in the Intermediate Grades
Exploring Strategies for Increasing Preservice Teachers’ Awareness of the Impact ...
Journal of Teacher Education and Educators (2016)
This case study of preservice teachers in a foundational education course examined instructional strategies impacting understanding of the effects of ...
Science Inquiry into Local Animals: Structure and Function Explored Through ...
Science Activities: Classroom Projects and Curriculum Ideas (2015)
This article describes an arts- and spatial thinking skill–integrated inquiry project applied to life science concepts from the Next Generation ...
Professional development experiences of diverse participants during an African mask-making ...
International Journal of Multicultural Education (2015)
Diverse education professionals learned about African cultures in a workshop experience by making African masks using authentic symbolism. Analysis of ...
Fifth Graders' Enjoyment, Interest, and Comprehension of Graphic Novels Compared ...
International Electronic Journal of Elementary Education (2014)
The comparative effectiveness of graphic novels, heavily illustrated novels, and traditional novels as reading teaching tools has been sparsely researched. ...
Pop-Up Constructions Motivate and Reinforce Science Learning for Upper Elementary ...
Science Activities: Classroom Projects and Curriculum Ideas (2013)
Pop-up boxes and folder constructions support student inquiry while integrating art, craft, spatial, and creativity skills. Step-by-step illustrated directions for ...
Teaching Primary Grade Students Perfectionism Through Cartoons Compared to Bibliotherapy
International Electronic Journal of Elementary Education (2013)
This experimental study compared concept acquisition and enjoyment of learning about perfectionism under two conditions: bibliotherapy (control) and analysis and ...